About Me

My photo
I am a painter. www.StephenCefalo.com, http://twitter.com/#!/CefaloStudio

Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Lamentation I discovered in an Alien movie


Here's another Christ motif I found in an Alien movie, one of the quadrilogy, but I don't remember which one. I immediately recognized it as a lamentation of the dead Christ. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the similarities to some of these paintings are striking, even in the direction of the lighting. She is surrounded by doctors in a similar fashion as these Christ figures are by saints and angels. Is it intentional or are they unwittingly retelling the stories?

Movie still from one of the Alien movies

Rosso Fiorentino, 1525. I turned it on it's side.

Lamentation on the Dead Christ 1566 - Maerten van Heemskerck
Maerten Van Heemskerck 1566

Francesco Bassano, 1580's


Rosso Fiorentino 1540

No comments:

Post a Comment