About Me

My photo
I am a painter. www.StephenCefalo.com, http://twitter.com/#!/CefaloStudio

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ye Olde Classmates: Matt Ballou

Matt Ballou attended graduate school together at Indiana University and I didn't get to know each other very well due to our mutually extreme introversion, but we probably should have been friends. We were both outsiders who bore the scarlet letter known as "old master syndrome"

I am glad to have recently gotten back in touch again, and I have been enjoying his new work. Especially Poignant are his drawings.

This drawing is my favorite . It has the feel of an old engraving to me. I really enjoy the world he builds with the brick landscape.

This is a study/sketch for a painting that I look forward to seeing.




This reminds me of atlas, but he's carrying a bunch of brick's instead of the world on his back.


It reminds me of the Junk Lady in the 80's movie, Labyrinth.







"The Omen" reminds me of Jean Francois Millet's peasant paintings. (Compare below)


Jean-Francois Millet

No comments:

Post a Comment