About Me

My photo
I am a painter. www.StephenCefalo.com, http://twitter.com/#!/CefaloStudio

Friday, July 22, 2011

Lucien Freud dies at 88. Celebrate the legacy of this great painter.

If you're not familiar with Lucian Freud's work, please take a moment to learn about a great British painter, the grandson of Sigmund Freud, who passed on this week at the age of 88.  I understand the arguments against him.  His work is offensive, distasteful, uncomfortable, and dangerous, but so is Caravaggio, so is punk rock, so was Beethoven, and so are many things that I love, and I find enormous beauty in their humanity.  Either you get him or you don't and that's okay, but the man was a daring and powerful painter.

-I did a "living grand master" post a while back about him that you can view here.
-Freud on Wikipedia
-NY Times article
-Just found a documentary on him I had not seen before on youtube.  Here's part one.

These are two of my favorite paintings by him:




His process was completely mad.  It makes my heart sing.


A few More...


Ok I put most of my favorites in my other post.  The sheer volume of his work is impressive, but I guess that's natural considering he never stopped making work and painted through his eighties.

Head of a Naked Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment